Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Publick House: Brookline, MA

I used to live in Brookline, MA. It's a "suburb" of Boston that pretty much is Boston only it's technically a different city and county. If you hop on the Green line of the T you will leave Boston and go through Brookline, then suddenly you're back in Boston, and then you're back in Brookline again without ever really noticing. There are three things redeeming about Brookline, Boston, and the greater Boston area: when the Red Sox/Patriots/Celtics lose, the "now leaving Boston" sign, and the veggie burger at the Publick House.

I am a fan of the Publick House in general; they offer a wide variety of artisan beers, with nary a PBR in sight. Even ordering a brew as mainstream as a Sierra Nevada is a huge faux pas. To accompany their extensive beer collection, they offer an equally delicious menu. It is therefore no surprise that their veggie burger is cream of the crop, so good that I am writing this almost a year after its consumption. It is a savory, homemade patty of vegetables and grains, with the bold inclusion of peas. I had never before seen a veggie patty made with peas, and it blew my mind. This was the burger that started it all, the one that made me think, "have I found the world's best veggie burger?"

No comments: