Sunday, November 2, 2008

Charlies: Seattle, WA

Charlie's offers not one but two veggie burgers: regular and black bean. The black bean burger was the first meal I ate as an official Seattle resident, and I have ordered it multiple times since then. I got it again tonight. My boyfriend really likes their hamburgers, which include a wide variety of topping choices, and you can substitute a garden burger for a meat burger for a dollar more. However, I don't think you should have to pay more for a veggie patty, so I usually stick with the black bean burger. It is a zesty and tasty (though somewhat dry) combination of black beans, soy protein, a little rice, and corn served with pepperjack cheese and pico de gallo, as well as the usual burger fixin's (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle). As usual, I asked them to hold the cheese, but it would probably add a little moisture/grease to the burger. My server tonight forgot my pico de gallo, which would also serve this purpose. Points off for the massive, un-toasted sesame bun, which overwhelms the burger in a sea of bread. Don't get me wrong, a good bread can make a burger work, but this is just a commercial bun that is way too big for its purpose. The patty deserves a bun that will enhance, not mute, it's flavor.

No comments: